The Allen and Heath QU-16 is a superb sound solution for stage, studio and location recording. All the inputs, EQ, routing and FX you need are included in the desk but it doesn't stop there:
- Live Sound:
- Per Channel Processing standards like HPF, Polarity, 4-Band Parametric EQ are all present but the power of digital provides Gate, Compressor and Delay control as well.
- Touch Screen control lets you know at a glance what's going on and what to change.
- Total Recall gives you control to recall 100 Scenes of settings, bring back brilliant sound in every venue.
- Qu-Pad. Add the Qu-Pad iPad app to your Qu-16 setup and you’re free to adjust the monitors on stage, roam around the venue whilst tweaking the PA, and then mix the show from the heart of the audience.
- Fader Automation works beautifully with Total Recall to give you instant call back on Channel Level, Sends & a programmable selection of parameters (Sends and custom layer are on a fader flip). Mix like the pros with motorised faders. Get control over your DAW via MIDI too.
- USB Audio Streaming without drivers on Mac. 16 Channels Send & Return to your Mac, record in Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase or any major DAW and use the QU16 for hands on tracking/mixing.
- ME Personal Mixing System, each performer can be given tailored control over their own mix, leaving the engineer free to focus on the audience experience. Find out more at allen-heath.com/ME
- Location Recording:
- Qu-Drive means you corget soundcard drivers and software setup, Qu-16 has an integrated multitrack USB recorder, providing 18 channels of 48kHz 24bit recording and playback straight to / from your USB hard drive.
Qu-16’s sixteen AnalogiQTM total recall preamps feature zero crossing detection and an advanced padless 1dB step gain stage, closely allied to the DSP for optimal gain accuracy and audio transparency. The analogue signal is captured by high class, low latency 24bit analogue to digital converters matched to high quality 24bit digital to analogue converters to deliver the required outputs. The AnalogiQTM design has been refined over many months to offer superb transparency, minimal distortion and an ultra-low noise floor, with a warm, musical sound that is missing from some digital consoles.
The Mixing Experience
Having massive processing power and advanced functionality is great, but it counts for nothing if you can’t access the controls you need in a heartbeat. Once you start using Qu-16 you’ll sense the years of research into ergonomics and the hands-on mixing experience that our team has drawn upon to deliver a wonderfully natural layout and workflow. It’s not about recreating an analogue interface, it’s about creating an experience that’s fluid, comfortable and intuitive for novices, digital natives and old school road warriors alike, making all the benefits of digital mixing technology readily accessible to all.
The 800 x 480, sixteen million colour Touchscreen and its dedicated data encoder form the heart of the Qu-16 interface, providing super-fast, easy access to all settings. The user-friendly interface has been designed with clarity in mind. Dedicated keys and screen tabs quickly guide you to meter and RTA views, FX racks, channel processing, USB audio control, scenes, setup menus and much more.
- The SuperStrip All your key processing tools are presented in a clean layout on the SuperStrip, with 1 function per physical control. The SuperStrip is complemented by an onscreen Touch Channel for intuitive access to full processing parameters without clutter or complex menu structures. Processing for Mono and Stereo inputs includes trim, polarity, HPF, gate, insert, 4 band PEQ, compressor and delay. The main LR and the Mono mixes have controls for Insert, 1/3 octave GEQ, compressor and delay. The Stereo mixes provide Insert, 4-band PEQ, compressor, delay and balance control.
- Fader Automation Moving faders started as an expensive option in the studio desks of the 80s, and later became the norm with the advent of digital technology. Nevertheless some entry-level digital mixers lack this precious commodity which is a fundamental part of the Total Recall approach. Fader automation is essential for rapid mixing, especially when you’re dealing with multiple monitor mixes – just press a mix key and the faders immediately fly to the send levels for that mix. Qu-16 features 17 motorized ALPS faders, 16 arranged over 2 layers, allowing instant access to all channels and masters in a compact space, plus a dedicated master fader which dynamically follows the mix selection. A third, Custom layer is available for ad-hoc user strip layout, where any combination of Inputs, FX Sends, FX Returns and Mix masters can be assigned.
- iLive FX Qu-16’s dynamics and FX algorithms are derived from the FX used in our iLive pro touring series. Some of the world’s most respected audio engineers have chosen to use iLive’s FX on tour in preference to top-end plug-ins and external FX units. Qu-16 boasts 4 stereo iLive FX engines, featuring lovingly crafted emulations of legendary classic reverbs, gated reverbs, delays, modulators, flangers and more. The FX library has the ability to grow with future firmware releases. FX are returned to the mix on dedicated return channels, so you’re not tying up your mono and stereo input channels. Each Stereo FX Return has a dedicated 4 band PEQ.
- ARMed to the Hilt Qu-16 is equipped with 5 cores of high efficiency ARM core processing, with dedicated ARM cores running the touchscreen display and surface, USB streaming, Qu-Drive multi-channel USB recording / playback, Ethernet and fader automation. Between them the ARM cores provide state-of-the-art processing, working in parallel to deliver extensive control, instant-on operation, and lightning-fast response. The mixer’s DSP farm exploits next generation dual core DSPs, giving 10 DSP cores, with 8 dedicated to the channel and mix processing alone. With so much DSP power under the hood the channel processing is only using a fraction of capacity, so Qu-16 is future-proofed, with ample room for updates and extra functionality. The Qu-16 DSP architecture employs varied bit depths, tailored to specific algorithms, with 48 bits on critical EQ functions and a 56 bit accumulator on the mix bus where it really counts, allowing every nuance of the audio to be captured in the final mix.
- 16 Mono Inputs (TRS + XLR)
- 3 Stereo Inputs (TRS)
- 4 Stereo FX Returns
- 16 Busses
- 12 Mix Outputs (LR, Mono Mix 1-4, Stereo Mix 1-3)
- 4 FX Engines
- AES Digital Out
- 800x480 Touchscreen
- Qu-Drive direct Multitrack Recording / Playback on USB drives
- iLive FX Library
- dSNAKE Remote Audio Port
- Compatible with ME Personal Mixing System
- Qu-Pad iPad App
- DAW MIDI Control
- 4 Mute Groups
- Built-in Signal Generator