Clavia's goal when developing the Nord Electro 2 was to create the best emulations of traditional electromechanical keyboard instruments on the market, and to make the instrument compact and lightweight. Nothing else. No brass banks, no orchestral sounds. No compromises. Just outstanding electromechanical keyboard sounds with true feel, from fast keyboard response to authentic sound.
The organ in the Electro 2 is based on a digital simulation of the mechanical tone wheels of the B-3 organ. It offers a number of very innovative solutions to mimic the typical B-3 sound. The piano section comprises several carefully multi-sampled electric piano instruments. As a bonus we also included an acoustic grand piano (concert model). The Electro 2 also sports a USB interface for quick and easy download of new piano sounds.
The Electro 2 also features a very flexible effects section including a Rotary Speaker simulation out of the ordinary. Nord Electro 2 is available in three versions: the 5 octave Nord Electro 2 SixtyOne, the 6 octave Nord Electro 2 SeventyThree and the 19" rack version Nord Electro Rack 2. Both keyboard versions feature exclusive semiweighted waterfall keyboards and weigh less than 10 kgs each!
The organ in the Electro 2 is based on a digital simulation of the mechanical tone wheels of the B-3 organ. It offers innovative solutions to mimic the typical B-3 sound, for example:
- A complex digital model of the original chorus and vibrato scanner.
- Modeling of the individual random contact bounces for each partial.
- Modeling of the unique frequency characteristics of the built-in pre-amplifier which forms the "body" of the B-3 sound.
- Simulation of the energy stealth on the tone wheels that results in the typical "compressed" sound.
- Authentic tuning of the tone wheels according to the original B3 design.
The piano section comprises five carefully multi-sampled electric piano instruments: Rhodes Mk I Stage Piano, Rhodes Mk I Suitcase Piano, Wurlitzer 200A, Clavinet D6 and the custom modified Clavia Electric Grand Model G. As a bonus we also included an acoustic Malmsjoe Grand Piano - in stereo! The Electro features a unique multi-sample playback, catching every nuance throughout the whole dynamic range. The Electro also sports a USB interface for quick and easy download of new piano sounds.
The chassis of Nord Electro 2 is made out of roadworthy steel plate and comes with genuine wooden sides. Nord Electro 2 comes in three versions: Nord Electro 2 SixtyOne (61-key version), Nord Electro 2 SeventyThree (73-key version) and Nord Electro Rack 2 (19" rack version).
9 electric drawbars with memory functionality
The drawbars of Nord Electro 2 are represented by up/down buttons and LED bar graphs instead of ordinary mechanical drawbars. This gives you a big advantage: when you change presets, the correct drawbar settings are shown immediately by the LEDs. In other words, no need for the regular ’trial and error’ method. It's very easy to get the hang of changing the drawbar settings in a natural way with the buttons.
Drawbar settings presets
- 8 drawbar presets + a random preset function in ROM plus 9 user configurable drawbar settings.
- Swell (the characteristic B-3 volume pedal function) - Percussion (2nd, 3rd, normal/soft, fast/slow). Chorus/Vibrato (C1, C2, C3/V1, V2, V3).
- Makes it possible to play an organ sound with two different drawbar settings (Lower and Upper manuals) on the internal keyboard.
Dual manuals - MIDI Split
- Nord Electro 2 is designed to support an extra MIDI keyboard in addition to its own. This makes it possible to play the Nord Electro 2 as a 2-manual (Lower and Upper manuals) organ with different drawbar settings for each manual.
Electric piano section
- 5 multi-sampled electric piano instruments in Flash memory: Rhodes Mk I Stage Piano, Rhodes Mk I Suitcase Piano, Wurlitzer 200A, Clavinet D6 and the custom modified Clavia Electric Grand Model G. As an extra bonus we also included an acoustic Malmsjoe grand piano - in stereo!
- Presence Filter (or Filter and Pickup selectors for the Clavinet D6 sound).
- 48 user memory locations (6 Banks holding 8 Programs each) in which you can store complete setups, including instrument settings (organ or piano) and effects settings.
- Overdrive, Rotary Speaker simulation (slow, fast, stop), Equalizer, Chorus (2 types), Flanger (2 types), Phaser (2 types), Tremolo, Wah-Wah (2 types), Auto Wah, Auto panning and Ring modulation.
- 61-key (5 octaves) or 73-key (6 octaves) velocity sensitive semi-weighted ”waterfall” (square front) keyboard.
- 2 Audio outputs, 1 Headphone output, 1 Control pedal input, 1 Sustain pedal input, 1 Rotary Speaker speed switch pedal input, MIDI In, MIDI Out. USB interface for fast and easy download of new piano sounds.
- Nord Electro 2 SeventyThree: W: 111.5 cm, D: 29.5 cm, H: 9.5 cm (incl. feet and knobs). Weight: 9.4 kg.
- Nord Electro 2 SixtyOne: W: 90 cm, D: 29.5 cm, H: 9.5 cm (incl. feet and knobs). Weight: 7.8 kg.
- Nord Electro Rack 2: W: 19", H: 4 rack units (incl. space for cables), D: 10.5 cm (incl. feet and knobs).