Studio monitors are designed to accurately reproduce music across a broad spectrum without signal loss or distortion but they can’t handle the SPL demands and other necessities of a live show. Conventional PA speakers can deliver plenty of volume, but except for very high-end systems, they can’t deliver the extremely clear, accurate sound one expects in a studio. As a result, a PA speaker that delivers studio-monitor quality for live shows has remained an unfulfilled fantasy—until now.
This fantasy has, at last, become reality thanks to a partnership between PreSonus and Fulcrum Acoustic’s legendary engineer David Gunness (formerly of EAW and Electro-Voice). Rather than take the usual brute-force approach to PA-speaker design, the team designed a coaxial loudspeaker that would employ Fulcrum’s unique DSP-based approach.
Presonus StudioLive 315AI Active Integration Loudspeaker
Presonus have been making a name for themselves marrying innovative DSP with quality analogue products. Their new range of PA gear brings studio quality to the stage, not relying purely on raw power it's the clarity of the StudioLive speaker range which sets it apart.
The StudioLive 328AI is a great choice for venue owners and bands who need high-quality speakers that offer enough coverage for normal bar needs yet are powerful enough for a band or a karaoke night. A 3-way system that features dual 8-inch ferrite woofers and a coaxial 8-inch ferrite midrange speaker and 1.75-inch compression driver, the StudioLive 328AI delivers full-range, high-powered performance, yet is streamlined and compact. These transducers are driven by a hefty 2,000W RMS of quad-amplified, Class D power.
Coaxial done right with TQ™
The StudioLive AI series is based on an all-new coaxial speaker design that combines an 8-inch midrange transducer and a 1.5-inch titanium dome compression driver/wide-dispersion horn. The transducers are custom-designed, and each speaker has more onboard processing power than three rack-mount speaker processors! This powerful DSP enables the use of Fulcrum Acoustic’s high-end TQ™ Temporal Equalization algorithms, resulting in a coaxial speaker system with exceptional clarity and coherence. The processor is used to manage horn reflection, linear time and amplitude anomalies correction, performance contouring, and dynamic and excursion limiting.
The result is studio-monitor sound on a huge scale: Studio…Live!
The future is Active Integration
Products that sense each other, interact and work together via wireless and wired communication, feature 32-bit floating-point DSP and seamlessly integrated software, and run on CPUs far more powerful than competitors’ current audio products—PreSonus has realized this dream with its new Active Integration technology. Active Integration incorporates communications, wireless networking, and huge amounts of DSP into a specialized, custom chip. Essentially, we’ve put a computer into these speakers, with enough processing power to handle not only the specialized algorithms for tuning the system to near-perfection but also providing extensive remote control over system performance, the variable low-pass filter, and much more. As with the full-range StudioLive AI-series systems, the StudioLive 18sAI offers the benefits of Active Integration, including remote control—including wireless control—over output level, user-adjustable contours, and more and uses 32-bit floating point DSP for the variable crossover, dynamic limiting, and excursion limiting.
- Unique coaxial design integrates a custom-designed, 8-inch, ferrite midrange driver and 1.75-inch titanium compression driver with Temporal Equalization™ and Coaxial Speaker Coherence Alignment
- Dual 8-inch, custom-designed, ferrite, low-frequency transducers
- 2,000 watt, triamped, Class D amplification
- Active Integration 32-bit, 96 kHz DSP with more processing power than three rack speaker processors
- 32-bit floating-point DSP with asymmetric three-way crossover, Temporal Equalization™ for horn reflection, linear time- and amplitude-anomalies correction, performance contouring, dynamic limiting, and excursion limiting
- Wireless or wired networking with free SL Room Control software for Mac®, Windows®, and iPad® enables complete setup, tuning, and monitoring
- Network Setup Wizard automatically detects each speaker and allows you to quickly connect to your wireless router network
- Remote control over Maximum SPL/output level, high-pass filter, onboard operational modes, performance monitoring, mute, and speaker delay
- 31-band graphic EQ and 8-band parametric EQ (total of 10, including feedback notch filter)
- Visually display room layout on a laptop or iPad
- Edit, save, recall, and share speaker-setup parameters
- XMAX™ Class A mic preamp with 12V phantom power
- 4 operation modes optimized for:
- Normal — live front-of-house
- MP3 — music playback
- Floor Monitor — stage wedge
- User — customizable preset
- Line-level input with attenuation
- Speaker-attenuation control
- Balanced XLR Mix output
- External Subwoofer mode activates a low-cut filter and alignment delay for combining StudioLive 18sAI subwoofer with 328AI in a true 4-way system
- Universal Switch mode power supply with power-factor correction
- Comfortable, ergonomic handles
- Integrated M10 fly points and pole mounts
- Ships with Ethernet connection for wired control; optional Dante card