NAMM 2008: Extremely Compact USB Audio Interface
ESI has announced the U24 XL which they describe as a new extremely compact and very stylish USB audio interface that continues a tradition.
ESI tell us that their earlier products were affordable with a unique and special design – the Waveterminal U2A with its small footprint of just 9 cm x 9 cm and later the Waveterminal U24, the first digital USB audio interface with real 24-bit recording & playback.
The U24 XL now continues this tradition: just in time for the 10th anniversary of the ESI product line, the new small 24-bit USB audio interface provides stereo I/O with real TRS connectors on one side. The other side of the of the compact device features coaxial as well as optical S/PDIF I/O connectors next to the USB port that connects the device to any current PC or Mac. One of the outputs can be used as a headphone output.
"We always regretted the decision to discontinue our Waveterminal U24 due to problems of our component suppliers. Now we are finally able to release a real replacement that may truly carry the name ‘U24’." says Chess Lim, CEO and founder of EGOSYS, Inc. – the R&D center for ESI in Korea.
- 2 x analog input and 2 analog output channels (1/4" TRS connectors)
- One output connector usable as headphone output
- S/PDIF digital in and out available via optical (Toslink) and coaxial (RCA) connectors
- 24 Bit AD/DA converter
- Analog and digital channels can be used simultaneously and independently
- Drivers for Windows Vista/XP with ASIO and GSIF support with low latency
- Core Audio support under Mac OS X 10.4 and higher
- Dimensions: around 9 (B) x 9 (D) cm
- Bundled with Steinberg Cubase LE 4.0 for PC and Mac