The Seaboard RISE 49 is a revolutionary MIDI controller. It remodels the keyboard as a soft, continuous surface that responds to touch. Playing on its unique “keywaves,” music-makers shape sound through intuitive movements such as striking the keywaves, pressing into them, gliding from left to right along them, or sliding up and down them.
The latest addition to the Seaboard family, this ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 has the potential to be the most popular yet! A whole new level of expression becomes possible through the RISE 49’s “Five Dimensions of Touch”. The instrument combines the deep expressiveness of an acoustic instrument with the versatility of an electronic instrument.
The RISE 49 sets a new standard not only for expressiveness but also for portability. Using MIDI over Bluetooth, it can be played wirelessly. Its super-thin design makes it easy to carry, as does the custom-made Soft Case that comes with every RISE 49. Its anodized aluminium chassis is designed to withstand the rigors of travel between home, studio, and gig.
Cord-free, the RISE 49 can control Equator, ROLI’s software synthesizer, on laptop or desktop. It can also work with only an iPhone through NOISE, ROLI’s mobile sound engine that is available for free download on the App Store.
The RISE 49 is part of ROLI’s Seaboard RISE product family. It features a four-octave playing surface in contrast to the two-octave RISE 25. The size of the RISE 49 makes it a full performance controller that is ideal both for stage and studio use. It combines the playability of a performance instrument with the portability of a MIDI controller.
Five Dimensions of Touch
The Seaboard RISE 49 lets music-makers control sound through Five Dimensions of Touch. This marks a progression from the piano keyboard where only one dimension of touch - Strike - controls sound.
- Strike: The velocity and force with which a finger makes contact with a keywave.
- Glide: Horizontal movements from side to side on a keywave or along the keywave surface.
- Slide: Vertical movements up and down a keywave.
- Press: The continuous pressure applied to the keywave after the initial strike.
- Lift: The release velocity or speed of liftoff from a keywave.
The Seaboard RISE 49 transmits MIDI over Bluetooth to devices that support it. Mac devices running OS X 10.10 with a Bluetooth LE chip currently support MIDI over Bluetooth. The RISE 49 pairs with the mobile sound engine NOISE, available as a free App Store download for iPhones and iPads running iOS 9+.
The Seaboard RISE 49 transmits MIDI over USB and Bluetooth to software across OS X and Windows platforms. Like other MIDI controllers, it connects to a range of digital audio workstations (DAWs). Unlike other controllers, the RISE 49 is a Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (MPE) product that uses multiple channels of MIDI simultaneously. To ensure that the connection between ROLI software and third-party software is optimized for MPE, ROLI provides templates for working with all major DAWs.
Power and Battery Life
A USB cable powers the Seaboard RISE 49 and automatically charges its internal battery. The battery supports up to 12 hours of wireless play using MIDI over Bluetooth.
- 49 Keywaves
- 834 mm x 210 mm x 25 mm / 4.2 kg (32.8 in x 8.3 in x 0.9 in / 9.2 lbs)
- Continuous pedal input (1/4" jack)
- USB 2.0-B port (MIDI out and power)
- USB A port (for charging peripherals)
- 9–12V 2A DC port
- Internal rechargeable battery for up to 12 hours of wireless play
- Full MIDI compatibility over USB and Bluetooth
- Bespoke Soft Case
- OS X 10.8+ / Windows 7+ / iOS 9+
- Intel Core i5 2.5GHz or faster recommended
- 4 GB RAM minimum / 8 GB RAM recommended
- 2 GB available disk space for Equator installation
What comes in the box
- Seaboard RISE 49
- Soft Case
- USB cable
- Quick Start Guide
- Product registration card (for downloads of Equator, Dashboard and Bitwig 8-track)
- User Manual Warranty information