Great tools are simple ones, and the Electro2 is a great tool for musicians. By focusing on just a few features, we’ve avoided spreading ourselves thin with unnecessary technological gadgets. Sometimes the best tool isn’t a Swiss Army Knife.There are certain unique electric pianos that have been staples of music for decades, and they are more useful now than they’ve ever been. These instruments are unique, and they have a soul all their own.
Remember that great organ sound from Procul Harum’s “Whiter Shade of Pale”? Or the soulful electric piano from Supertramp’s “The Logical Song”? What about the Clavinet from Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition”? These classic instruments have inspired generations of players and songwriters, and they continue to gain more and more admirers every day. Now all these instrument have one thing in common: the Nord Electro2.
The Perfect Fit
The Electro2 is available in three sizes: 73-key, 61-key, and a rack module. The Electro2 73 is the first choice of piano players who need a little more than the usual short range of standard stage pianos, but less weight. Coming in at around 22 lb., the 73 key version is modeled from the range of a classic electric piano, from which the Electro2 takes one of its extremely rich and accurate sounds. For the musician on the go, the Nord Electro2 61 is ideal. Sometimes stage space can be compromised, but not your standards of quality. Why trade sounds for portability? The Electro2 61 features the same waterfall keys and touch response as the Electro2 73, as well as all the same sounds and features.
As players, you tend to collect a number of synths and stage pianos over the years. Sometimes all you need is that right sound, but prefer a familiar axe to play. For you, the Electro2 Rack offers all the elegant sounds of the Electro2 series in a rack-mountable module.
The Organ Section
The Electro2’s organ section is modeled from a digital simulation of the mechanical tonewheels of the classic Hammond B3. This is an innovative and unique method of tonewheel simulation is what gives the Electro2 its unique and accurate B3 sound.
A complex digital model of the B3’s chorus and vibrato scanners, the individual random contact bounces for each partial, and the frequency characteristics of the built-in preamp form the body of the Electro2’s B3 sound.
The Electro2 also faithfully simulates the energy stealth from the tonewheels, which results in the typically “compressed” sound that comes from playing many notes simultaneously.
The virtual tonewheels have been accurately tuned according to the original B3 design. The Rotary Speaker simulation found in the effects section is just icing on the cake!
The Piano Section
The piano section is comprised of five carefully sampled electric pianos - E-Piano Mark I, E-Piano Mark I Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Mega Clavinet D6, and a custom Electric Grand Model G.
The Mega Clavinet D6 sound offers all the filter and pickup variations of the original Clavinet D6. You have access to 60 + 4 different Clavinet D6 sounds, your favorite settings of which can be saved as user sounds. The Electro2 also includes a Malmsjoe Grand Piano, rounding out the necessary elements for the perfect stage piano!
The Electro2 features unique multisample playback capabilities, displaying subtle nuances throughout the whole dynamic range. Thanks to this carefully designed sound engine, even the key releases of the original sounds are emulated, completing the aura of authenticity that can only be heard in the Nord Electro2!
Vintage stage pianos came in many varieties, and while a Clavinet might sound great, it’s not “the” sound you need. Clavia offers a number of various characters of Electro2 sounds downloadable for free. Use the Electro2’s USB port to swap internal sounds with those that can be saved on your computer.
- Organ Section
- Full polyphony
- 9 electric drawbars with memory functionality
- The drawbars of Electro 2 are represented by up/down buttons and LED bar graphs instead of the ordinary mechanical drawbars. This gives you a big advantage: when you change presets, the correct drawbar settings are shown immediately by the LEDs.
- 9 drawbar presets in ROM and 9 user configurable drawbar settings.
- Effects: Swell (the characteristic B-3 volume pedal function). Percussion (2nd, 3rd, normal/soft, fast/slow). Chorus/Vibrato (C1, C2, C3/V1, V2, V3).
- Keyboard Split: Makes it possible to play an organ sound with two different drawbar settings (Lower and Upper manuals) on the internal keyboard.
- Dual manuals - MIDI Split: Nord Electro 2 is designed to support an extra MIDI keyboard in addition to its own. This makes it possible to play the Nord Electro 2 as a 2-manual (Lower/Upper manuals) organ with different drawbar settings for each manual.
- Piano Section
- Instruments: 5 multi-sampled electric piano instruments in Flash memory: E-Piano Mk I Stage Piano, E-Piano Mk I Suitcase Piano, Wurlitzer 200A, Clavinet D6 and the our custom modified Clavia Electric Grand Model G. We also included an acoustic Grand Piano - in stereo!
- Effects: Presence (or Filter and Pickup selectors for the Clavinet D6 sound).
- Global Features
- Memory: 48 user memory locations (6 Banks of 8 Programs each) in which you can store complete setups, including instrument settings (organ/piano) and effects settings.
- Effects: Tube type Overdrive, Rotary Speaker simulation (slow, fast, stop), Equalizer, Chorus (2 types), Flanger (2 types), Phaser (2 types), Tremolo, Auto Wah, Wah-Wah (2 types), Auto panning and Ring modulation.
- Keyboard: 61-key (5 octaves). Velocity sensitive semi-weighted ”waterfall” (square front) keyboard.
- 2 Audio outputs
- 1 Headphone output
- 1 Control pedal input
- 1 Sustain pedal input
- 1 Rotary Speaker speed switch pedal input
- MIDI In, MIDI Out
- USB interface for fast and easy download of new piano sounds.