With the legendary Yamaha Control Synthesizer series, introduced in 1976, music history was written by artists like Vangelis, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson. In keeping with tradition the reface CS unites simple handling and creative sounds with a massive dynamic.
The sound of one of the most legendary Yamaha synth ranges ever - the CS series - is now back in a modern, portable synth loaded with classic, vintage synthesizer sounds! If you're a fan of all those classic Yamaha analogue synthesizer sounds from the past, you'll love the reface CS!
The original Yamaha CS-80 (used by Vangelis on the Blade Runner soundtrack, Aphex Twin, Daft Punk and others) is considered the most expensive vintage polysynth - if you ever found one, it'd cost you around £15,000! So this reface re-invention is most welcome! This tiny keyboard synth has an assortment of sliders just like the classic CS synths, and plenty of tones to be explored.
But the concept was not to clone a monophonic synthesizer: The polyphonic tone generator with 8 voices and 5 oscillator types (multi saw, pulse, oscillator sync, ring modulation, frequency modulation) offers a rich bandwidth of exciting sounds from analogue to digital. All parameters are changeable intuitively using sliders.
Discover and share sounds online
All four reface models offer a rich potential for creative sound design – and the opportunity to get in touch with the whole world: With Soundmondo, Yamaha created an online hub connecting the reface community all over the globe. Soundmondo offers creative possibilities to create, share and discover sounds. The connection is established intuitively using a special Web MIDI technology for Google Chrome. As soon as a reface model is plugged in, it offers the possibility of direct synchronisation. Voices and set lists can be stored in a private area as well as shared with the community.
reface iOS App for iPhone and iPad
Quick and easy storage as well as management of sounds with iPhone and iPad: The free reface iOS app for Apple mobile devices makes data transfer extremely simple. A name, a picture and multiple tags can be applied to stored voices; they can be sorted in different ways as well. Search functionality is also included. Using a set list, voices can be arranged in a specific order and recalled one after the other. Another impressive feature is the possibility to exchange voices using QR codes: A distinctive code can be generated from any stored voice and can then be shared using the different options available with iOS. It can for example be sent via email or read using the camera of another iPad to import it into the app.
- Amplifiers 2 W x 2
- Speakers 3 cm x 2
- Power Consumption 6 W (When using PA-130 power adaptor)
- Battery Life Approximately 5 hours
- Auto Power Off Yes
- Power Supply Adaptors PA-130 or an equivalent recommended by Yamaha
- Batteries Six “AA” size batteries or Ni-MH rechargeable batteries
- Includes AC adaptor*, MIDI breakout cable, Owner’s Manual, Warranty* *May be included depending on your locale
- Voices: Number of types: 5 OSC types
- Effects Distortion, VCM Chorus/Flanger, VCM Phaser, Delay
- Dimensions Width 530 mm (20 7/8") Height 60 mm (2 3/8") Depth 175 mm (6 7/8")
- Weight 1.9 kg (4 lbs, 3 oz) (not including batteries)
- Number of Keys 37 keys
- Type of key: HQ mini (High-Quality mini)
- Initial Touch Yes
- Tone generation
- Maximum Polyphony 8
- Engine AN (Analog Physical Modeling)
- Phrase Looper Yes
- DC IN DC IN (12 V) jack
- Headphones PHONES (6.3 mm, stereo phone jack)
- MIDI MIDI (mini-DIN IN/OUT)
- AUX IN AUX IN (3.5 mm, mini stereo phone jack)
- OUT PUT L/MONO, R (6.3 mm, TS phone jack, unbalanced)
- USB TO HOST USB (TO HOST)
- Pedal Type FOOT CONTROLLER: FC7 (optional) (to adjust the volume)