The Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Cutaway (in Bourbon Burst) is an acoustic-electric guitar, which takes the traditional archtop design and give it a modern makeover, ideal for the live performers, and features an innovative design.
This guitar's magic lies in its continuous grain - by using an innovative proprietary process to form its wood rather than carve it, Gibson was able to create a guitar with an unbelievably rich, pronounced tone. The Continuous grain delivers full, open tone, and its eco-friendly, forward-thinking design is evident on its innovative neck design - less wood, stronger joint, and enhanced tone.
Armed with a Johnny Smith mini humbucker, you can expect sweet and defined tone every time you plug this archtop acoustic-electric into your favorite amplifier. You'll also love this guitar's open tonal qualities, as all of its electronics are attached to its pickguard, effectively eliminating acoustic dampening. The Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Cutaway is one of the finest archtop acoustic-electric guitars we've seen here at Sweetwater. Check it out!
The Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Cutaway was crafted through a proprietary process in which its bookmatched pieces of wood (two for the top and two for the back) were formed, rather than carved, into an arched top and back. Unlike a traditional carved top, this guitar features a continuous grain, which provides you with more broadcast and richer tone.
Not only does the process utilized to build the Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Cutaway make for a stellar-sounding archtop acoustic-electric guitar, but it's also good for the environment. By using their eco-friendly proprietary construction process, Gibson was able to build an instrument requiring only 1/3 of the amount of wood needed to build a traditional carved-top guitar's top and back, and only 1/2 of the wood for its neck.
Although the Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Cutaway's neck utilizes less wood than its carved counterpart, its ingenious continuous grain design is actually stronger, all while enhancing the guitar's sustain. The guitar's heel block is precision-glued where its neck and body meet and features a precision dovetail joint. Its neck shaft is then glued into a matching dovetail joint in its body. If that wasn't enough, you also get a dual-action truss rod for complete flexibility in adjustment.
In order to prevent dampening of its acoustic properties, the Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Cutaway's Johnny Smith mini humbucker is attached directly to the guitar's pickguard. This design works so well that it essentially creates an amplified acoustic instrument. The guitar's tone and volume controls are also mounted on its pickguard, and its input is run through its endpin, ensuring that no electronics interfere with the instrument's natural tone. On top of that, this guitar's pickguard and electronics can be removed, creating a completely acoustic archtop guitar.
- Continuous grain delivers an unbelievably rich, pronounced tone
- Eco-friendly proprietary construction process uses less wood than a carved instrument
- Johnny Smith mini humbucker serves up sweet yet defined tone
- Innovative neck design uses less wood and has a stronger joint and enhanced tone
- Dampening-free design essentially creates an amplified acoustic instrument
- The Gibson Solid Formed 17" Venetian Cutaway is a remarkably innovative archtop acoustic-electric guitar!
- Body Type Hollowbody
- Body Shape 17" Venetian Cutaway
- Left-/Right-handed Right-handed
- Number of Strings 6
- Body Material Maple
- Top Material Spruce
- Body Finish Nitrocellulose
- Color Bourbon Burst
- Neck Material Mahogany
- Scale Length 24.75"
- Fingerboard Material Rosewood
- Fingerboard Inlay Mother-of-pearl Dots
- Number of Frets 22
- Nut Width 1.687"
- Bridge/Tailpiece Intonated Floating w/Thumbwheels
- Tuners Kluson Keystone
- Number of Pickups 1
- Bridge Pickup Johnny Smith Mini Humbucker
- Controls Thumbwheels Under Pickguard: Tone and Volume
- Strings .010P, .013P, .017P, .026W, .036W, .046W
- Case Included Hardshell