How many times have you wondered, "Why aren't there any NEW effects?" Whether you play guitar, bass, keyboard, make beats, or work in the studio - most effects boxes are based on the same old classics. The Moogerfooger MF-105 MuRF is the antidote to generic, boring effects.
Moog Moogerfooger MF-105M MIDI MuRF
Moog have never been ones to follow the crowd, always with one eye on the sonic horizon. Good on them we say, when it results in the modulated filter genius of the MuRF. Get that characteristic Moog filter sound on guitar or any source you fancy. With extended modulation and control options it's almost more of a synth than a straight filter.
What is really unique is the ability to animate the levels of the 8 filters in up to 24 preset patterns. The rate of the patterns can be set by a knob, expression pedal, or plug a footswitch into the tap tempo input to match the rate to the tempo of your song. Rhythmic variations can be created by adjusting the levels of the filters. The Envelope control sets the shape of the modulation, which can be set for percolating techno rhythmic modulation or shimmering timbral morphing. Other controls include Input Drive, Output Level and Wet/Dry Mix.
In addition to the full range of Control Voltage inputs, it also sports an extensive MIDI implementation. Create tempo-synced filter sequences with MIDI Clock Sync. Change patterns with MIDI Program Change messages. Control front panel knob settings with MIDI CC messages and play the filters in real-time with MIDI Note On commands.
The Moog Standard
MuRF shares the musician-oriented features that are common to all Moogerfoogers. All the audio processing is 100% genuine analog, for warm, fat sound quality. Any line level or instrument level audio signal may be processed. Wide-ranging player parameters may be controlled from the panel knobs as well as from expression pedals or CV-compatible analog synthesis instruments. Components are rugged and long lasting, to withstand the rigors of stage and studio. The MuRF is housed in the classic Moogerfooger "double-wedge" enclosure that may be used on a table or on the floor. For all players, the MuRF will open up new sonic worlds for you!
Sound On Sound Review the MF-105M
"I felt that the original MuRF was an innovative and impressive-sounding effect pedal constrained a little by the fixed nature of its patterns. In banishing this limitation and adding MIDI control, Moog aim to be the first choice for sequenced filter riffs, whether for stage or studio. There’s been no loss of hands-on simplicity or analogue interfaceability, but the arrival of MIDI clearly gives the best of both worlds. Admittedly, the MIDI MuRF is several degrees more cerebral than its parents, but program up a Logic Environment or your favourite controller, and this needn’t cause any headaches."
Front Panel Controls
- PATTERN Rotary Switch: Selects one of 12 Animation Patterns in each bank.
- FREQ Slide Switch: Selects whether BASS or MIDS pattern bank is active.
- LFO Slide Switch: Applies LFO modulation to patterns
- RATE Rotary Control: Sets the Rate of the Pattern. Sets Clock Divider value when synced to MIDI Time Clock.
- ENVELOPE Rotary Control: Sets the envelope shape of the patterns.
- DRIVE Rotary Control: Adjusts the gain of the audio input circuit.
- OUTPUT Rotary Control: Adjusts the output level when the effect is active. Used for balancing the filtered signal with the bypassed signal.
- MIX Rotary Control: Sets the proportion of direct to effected signal that appears at the output.
- FILTERS Slider Controls: Controls the gains of the following frequency bands(determined by FREQ Slide Switch): BASS -110 Hz, 160 Hz, 240 Hz, 350 Hz, 525 Hz, 775 Hz, 1.2kHz, 1.8kHz. MIDS - 200 Hz, 300 Hz, 450 Hz, 675 Hz, 1kHz, 1.5 kHz, 2.2 kHz, 3.4kHz
- DRIVE LED: 3-color LED indicates the level of the Input signal. Green indicates a low-level signal, yellow indicates optimal signal level, and red indicates soft clipping.
- BYPASS LED: 3-color LED indicates effect status. Red indicates bypass, and Green indicates Mid Voicing, Orange indicates Bass Voicing.
- RATE LED: RED = Pattern Clock Rate determined by the Rate control/CV Input, GREEN = Pattern Clock Rate determined by Tap Tempo/Step control and ORANGE = The Current State has been last modified by MIDI and the front panel control knob doesn't indicate the state of the unit.
- AUDIO IN: Phone jack accepts any instrument-level or line-level signal from 16 dBm to +4 dBm. Input impedance is 1 megohm.
- LEFT/MONO OUT: " Phone Jack carries the summed signal (left+right, all freq. bands) when Right Output is not connected, and carries the Left output signal (Freq. bands: 200 Hz, 450 Hz, 1 KHz, 2.2 KHz) when the right output is connected. Nominal output is '16 dBm to +4 dBm depending on setting of Output Level control when effect is active. Output impedance is 5,000 Ohms.
- RIGHT OUT: Phone Jack carries the Right Output signal (Freq. Bands 300 Hz, 675 Hz, 1.5 KHz, 3.4 KHz). Nominal output is '16 dBm to +4 dBM depending on setting of Output Level control when effect is active. Output impedance is 5,000 Ohms.
- RATE, MIX, ENVELOPE, LFO/SWEEP are TRS jacks that accept Moogerfooger EP-2 (or equivalent) expression pedals, or control voltages from two or three-circuit jacks.
- TAP/STEP IN: This tap tempo input accepts a normally open momentary footswitch for syncing the rate of ANIMATION to the tempo of the music.