As traditional as it gets. The L-1 model harks back to 1928, when it was a top choice amongst blues guitarists - including Robert Johnson! This special, limited-edition acoustic brings back the sound of a lost era in music...
If you love folk music and blues, and if you're a fan of Robert Johnson, in particular, then the Gibson L-1 is simply a must! An authentic recreation of the legendary 1928 acoustic guitar, used by many bluesmen including Johnson.
The Gibson Acoustic L-1 Special celebrates their small-body acoustic guitar designs by re-creating the L-1 model as it was at the peak of its initial popularity among blues guitarists, but with a couple twists. In 1928 the L-1 was the fanciest member of the L family, treating its players to elegant body binding and an inlaid rosette.
The L-1 Special re-creates many of the details of this legendary instrument, from its vintage open-back tuners to its lacquer finish, and adds a couple features to give the guitar an authoritative voice.
Gibson assured their customers that every guitar would be built using woods with "the most durable, elastic, and sonorous qualities" in their first 1903 Gibson Mandolin-Guitar catalog. You'll experience this promise with the Gibson Acoustic L-1 Special. It was one of the first guitars to establish spruce-topped mahogany as a standard for acoustic guitar design. Its Adirondack red spruce top and select mahogany back and sides deliver the timeless rich warmth, volume, and clarity that define this classic tonewood combination.
What truly sets this L-1 apart is its 25" scale length. By adding more length to the guitar, you are treated to a more pronounced sound with a stronger fundamental tone. This stronger sound is great for accompanying vocals, for flat-picking, and for fingerstyle. The longer design also offers a more stout feel to the strings helping them project. And the neck joins the L-1 Special's body at the 12th fret reminds Sweetwater guitarists of many of the original vintage models.
- Vintage-designed acoustic with modern appointments
- Mahogany provides tonal depth and warmth
- Adirondack spruce top is bright and expressive
- 25" scale length emphasizes clarity and projection
- Parlor-style body joins the neck at the 12th fret
- L-1 Pyramid-style bridge
- Bone saddle
- Adorned with body binding, an inlaid rosette, and period-correct headstock logo
- The L-1 Special adds sonic muscle to an iconic design.
- String Type Steel
- Number of Strings 6
- Body Shape L-1
- Body Style No Cutaway
- Left-/Right-handed Right-handed
- Color Vintage Sunburst
- Finish Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Top Wood Adirondack Spruce
- Back & Sides Wood Mahogany
- Body Bracing Traditional scalloped x-bracing
- Neck Wood Mahogany
- Fingerboard Material Rosewood
- Fingerboard Inlay Mother of Pearl dot inlay
- Number of Frets 18
- Scale Length 25"
- Tuning Machines Gotoh white button tuners
- Bridge Material Rosewood
- Nut/Saddle Material Bone
- Strings 0.012-0.053
- Case Included Hardshell case