Sibelius 5 represents the latest advance in the world’s favorite music software.
Sibelius 5 represents the latest advance in the world’s favorite music software. We’ve listened to what Sibelius users have been asking for, and have spent many months adding fantastic enhancements for writing music, the latest technologies such as VST & Audio Units, and completely new features, such as the Ideas Hub.
Whether you use Sibelius for writing music, teaching or just for fun, don’t be afraid of getting up-to-date. Sibelius 5 is better and easier than ever, and once you’ve tried it you’ll be glad you made the change!
Ideas Hub is a unique new feature that lets you capture, use and re-use snippets of music - so you’ll never lose another idea again. As well as using your own ideas, over 2000 ready-made ones are included– ideal for teaching, and for trying out new styles of music.
Stunning new built-in sounds
Sibelius 5 comes with Sibelius Sounds Essentials as standard – a 2GB collection of sounds selected from top-name libraries such as Garritan Personal Orchestra, Garritan Jazz & Big Band, Garritan Concert & Marching Band, and Tapspace Virtual Drumline.
VST & Audio Units support
A huge variety of VST and Audio Unit instruments are available from numerous manufacturers – and now Sibelius 5 can play back using any of them! So you can hear your scores played back by the world’s most advanced sound libraries.
Panorama is a new, clearer way of viewing music in Sibelius. Instead of being chopped up into systems and pages, the music is shown in a single, infinitely-wide strip – far easier to read and navigate around. So now you can just think about the notes, and forget about page layout until you’re ready to print.
Easy cues & instrument changes
Creating cues in parts is now the work of a moment. Just copy the music you want to appear in the cue, and choose Paste As Cue. Sibelius 5 does the rest for you. And changing instruments on a score is now equally simple.
Complete layout control
Sibelius 5 also offers users complete and easy layout control, covering bar and page numbering, blank pages, sheet music margins and more – making it easier than ever to produce beautiful scores.
Power tools & undoable plug-ins
Incredible new hand written-style fonts, chord symbols, note names, functional analysis, early music and avant garde symbols, new plug-ins with undo… Sibelius 5 has it all.
As usual, Sibelius 5 supports the very latest technologies. It’s now a Universal Binary application, so it runs at top speed on Intel-based Macs. You can use it on the new Leopard operating system (Mac OS X 10.5), and it also has improved tab, mouse and scroll wheel support.
- Clefs change where necessary if you switch between sounding pitch and transposing score
- Transpose to specified key (rather than by interval)
- Add blank pages up to next left/right-hand page (for page turns in complex parts)
- Go To Bar steps through each occurrence of the bar number if it recurs in several movements or songs
- Select & delete system/page breaks & other layout marks
- Export graphics in PNG format, plus BMP on Mac too
- Cue-sized graphics
- Graphics scale on small staves
- 400+ different instruments
- Delete Bar menu item
- Make Piano Four Hands Layout splits the music between left- and right-hand pages
- Add Capo Chord Symbols: for guitars with capos
- Add Continuous Controller Changes: produce special MIDI effects for sample libraries
- Groovy Music Mark-Up: for exporting music to Groovy Music educational software
- Improvements to: Accidentals plug-ins, Calculate Statistics, Pitch Mapping, Scales & Arpeggios
- Edit aperture of either end of hairpins individually
- Hairpins no longer cross system breaks unnecessarily, and always point the right way after a system/page break
- Hidden music no longer affects visible note stems and rest positions
- Hide empty staves even if they have hidden objects (e.g. cues) on them
- Accidentals now at correct size when normal and cue-sized voices coincide
- Plain & boxed system text styles (for instructions to appear in score & parts)
- Text styles for composer, title etc. on title pages
- You can make text cue-sized
- Correctly number bars split between two systems
- Select all bar numbers on a system using Select More
- Bar number changes automatically centered in the bar when bar numbers are
- Various new & improved characters in various fonts
- Align page-aligned text to margin of first page or current page
Look & Feel
- Fit Page Height zoom level (useful with Panorama)
- Extra tutorial videos covering main new features
- On-screen Reference is now in PDF format – opens faster and easier to read
- Improved dialogs, e.g. Edit Text Style, playback dictionary
- Extra keyboard shortcuts
- New desk textures
- Use different textures when editing ideas
- Texture preview
Playback & MIDI
- Show/hide empty staves when importing a MIDI file
- Export Type 0 MIDI files
- Set tick resolution (PPQ) of exported MIDI files
- Choose which sound set to export a MIDI file for
- Multiple input devices – no need to choose which one you’re using
- Alternate pitched & unpitched percussion playback on same staff
- Easier network installation using standard Windows Installer (.msi) package
- Scorch now fully Firefox-compatible on Windows and Mac
- Sibelius files much smaller – about 20K plus typically just 1K per page
- Export in Sibelius 4 format
- Various bugs fixed