This uncompromising FireWire/Thunderbolt-ready* interface combines superior sound and flexible routing with powerful onboard UAD-2 QUAD processing. So you can track audio in real time through the full range of classic UAD analog emulation plug-ins — from Neve, Studer, Manley, Lexicon and more** — on both Mac and Windows 7.*
The Apollo Was Voted Best Computer Audio Interface At The Sound On Sound Awards 2014
In their review of the original Universal Audio Apollo Sound On Sound said:
A combined DSP engine and computer interface built to very high standards and with impressive flexibility, allowing UAD plug-ins to be employed in real time when tracking or mixing...
NEW UNIVERSAL AUDIO PROMO: Get FREE 610A Tube Preamp & EQ Plug-In + EMT 140 Plate Reverb Plug-In + Neve 88RS Channel Strip Plug-In when you buy this product!*
No coupons or redemption codes are necessary. The plug-in(s) will be automatically added to your account once you register your new Apollo interface.
Already own any of the promotional plug-ins? No problem. Purchase and register this product and you’ll receive a single-use coupon of equal value to the plug-in(s) you already own. *Offer ends 31/3/2014. See details here.
* Requires Windows 7 64-bit edition operating system and a qualified PCIe-to-FireWire adaptor. Thunderbolt option is Mac-only.
** All trademarks are recognized as property of their respective owners. Individual UAD Powered Plug-Ins sold separately.
Show full description »
Back in the 50's Bill Putnam was a pioneer, creating high grade analogue audio gear. In recent years Universal Audio have led the way with their plugins and digital converters. Bringing the two worlds together are there audio interfaces, high grade signal path from source to DAW.
World-Class 24-bit/192 kHz Conversion
Apollo 16 brings a true “no compromise” approach to every aspect of its audio signal path. Building upon decades of UA hardware expertise, it features meticulous analog circuit design, top-end converters, and DC-coupled outputs — providing the lowest THD and highest dynamic range of any converter in its class. Specifically, the Apollo 16’s deep, wide soundstage, and its exceptionally open and transparent sound, makes it the ideal centerpiece for professional recording studios.
Expandable 16 x 16 Analog Connectivity with Advanced Routing
Apollo 16 boasts straightforward 16 x 16 analog I/O via convenient DB-25 connections — perfect for pairing with mixing consoles, outboard processors, cue/headphone systems, and more. Two Apollo 16 units can be cascaded over MADI for an expanded system with eight UAD processors and 32 x 32 simultaneous analog I/O, capable of handling large professional mixes. Dedicated XLR monitor outputs and stereo AES-EBU digital I/O round out the Apollo 16’s rear-panel audio connections. The Apollo 16’s enhanced routing capabilities include four stereo Cue mixes with individually assignable outputs, and a new “Virtual I/O” feature that allows for Realtime UAD Processing of DAW tracks and virtual instruments.
The Apollo software has seen a significant expansion which offers expanded Thunderbolt functionality for cascading units, Console 2.0 software and a load of new plugins for acoustic, electric guitar and vocals. Find Out More.
Thunderbolt™ Connectivity for Macs
Apollo 16 offers compatibility with Intel’s new high-bandwidth Thunderbolt technology on Macs via a user-installable dual-port Thunderbolt Option Card (sold separately). Thunderbolt provides greater UAD plug-in instances, improved performance at high sample rates, and reduced UAD plug-in latency in the DAW versus Apollo’s standard FireWire connection. Because Thunderbolt offers many times the bandwidth of FireWire, it allows studios to connect numerous devices in series with the Apollo interface — including hard drives, processors, and additional computer monitors — all with fast, flawless performance. Thunderbolt also makes it easy to expand UAD plug-in processing power via a Thunderbolt-to-PCIe chassis and UAD-2 DSP Accelerator card(s).
- UA’s flagship FireWire/Thunderbolt -ready audio interface for Mac and Windows 7*
- 16 x 16 analog I/O via DB-25 connectors — ideal for mixing consoles, outboard preamps, etc.
- Realtime UAD-2 QUAD processing for low-latency (sub-2ms) tracking and mixing w/ UAD Powered Plug-Ins**
- Thunderbolt Option Card for next-generation connectivity to compatible Macs (sold separately)
- Four stereo Cue mixes with fully assignable outputs
- Multi-unit cascading over MADI merges two Apollo 16 units for 32 x 32 analog I/O
- PT Mode allows easy insertion of outboard analog hardware in Pro Tools**
- Virtual I/O feature for Realtime UAD Processing of virtual instruments and DAW tracks
- Includes dedicated XLR monitor outs and stereo AES-EBU digital I/O
- Includes “Analog Classics” plug-ins: LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN Limiting Amplifier, and Pultec EQP-1A EQ
- Full recall of interface settings in DAW sessions via Console Recall plug-in (VST/RTAS/AU)
- Analog Line Inputs - 16
- Analog Line Outputs - 16
- Analog Monitor Outputs - Two (one stereo pair)
- AES/EBU - One stereo input, one stereo output
- FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b) - Dual ports
- Thunderbolt (via Thunderbolt Option Card) - Dual ports
- Word Clock - One input, one output
- MADI Optical Ports - One input, one output