This is what Thunderbolt was made for, 8 glorious channels of pristine analogue audio with next to no latency, welcome to the future of audio interfaces. With the same incredible sound quality as it's little brother TACs but with loads of added I/O & functionality that make it suitable for rack mounting into your studio setup. The entire range is based upon sound quality that will suit audiophiles and purists but the TAC-8 goes even further.
Get 8 channels of recording at the same time using the TAC-8's high quality preamps, with 8 channels of simultaneous playback as well. Offering full studio functionality without being a burden, it can easily fit into any travelling rig for location recording or touring.
Thunderbolt technology opens up new doors for creators. More than twice as fast as USB 3.0—not to mention twenty times faster than USB 2.0 and twelve times faster than Firewire 800—Thunderbolt is the interconnection technology of the future. Co-developed by Apple and Intel Labs, it allows signal to be transferred at an incredibly fast 10 gigabits per second, which means virtually no latency. Thunderbolt interfaces such as the TAC-8 are also unaffected by computer jitter (slight variations in timing).
The TAC-8 provides a wide variety of both analog and digital connectors. Eight front panel combo XLR/TRS inputs accept mic- and line-level signals. Inputs 1 and 2 can also accept instrument-level signal from electric guitars and basses. Dedicated input gain controls and Clip LEDs make it easy to set optimum input levels, and a Phantom Power switch enables the use of condenser microphones.
Dual balanced analog ¼" TRS output jacks allow you to connect the TAC-8 to amplifiers or self-powered speakers, and there are also 8 discrete balanced TRS analog line outputs for multichannel monitoring or connection to external effects devices. A large front-panel Output knob offers fast control over output level, and there are two independent ¼" stereo headphone jacks, each with its own dedicated volume control, for private monitoring.
The TAC-8 provides 10 channels of digital inputs and outputs, including 8 channels of I/O on ADAT Optical connectors and an additional 2 channels on S/PDIF connectors. In addition, Word Clock I/O enables the TAC-8 to be easily integrated into any system.
In addition, MIDI In and Out allow electronic keyboards, sequencers, and drum machines to be connected to the TAC-8, with Thunderbolt speed ensuring precise audio and MIDI sync.
In standalone mode, the TAC-8 can be used as an 8-channel mic preamp and analog-to-digital or digital-to-analog converter without being connected to a computer. The TAC-8 performs 4-times upsampling during both analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion. In other words, when the sampling frequency is set to 44.1kHz or 48kHz, the signal is processed at high resolution 176.4kHz or 192kHz, respectively. For A/D conversion, this means less aliasing noise; for D/A conversion, this means increased clarity and fidelity.
- 18‐in/20‐out high speed Thunderbolt™ audio interface
- Record and play back 8 tracks simultaneously
- Standalone mode allows use as an 8-channel mic preamp and A/D or
D/A converter without
- connection to a computer
- Support for up to 24‐bit/192kHz high‐definition audio
- Near-zero latency audio streaming
- 8 combo balanced XLR/TRS analog input connectors accept both mic
and line‐level signal
- High‐performance mic preamps with up to +60dB of amplification
- Hi‐Z switches allow direct connection of electric guitar or bass
- Independent gain controls and clip LEDs for each input
- Switchable +48V phantom power (INPUTS 1‐4, INPUTS 5‐8)
- 10 balanced TRS output jacks for connection to mixers,
amplifiers, self‐powered speakers,
- or effects devices
- Dual front-panel 1/4" headphone outputs with dedicated volume
- Large knob output volume control
- 4x upsampling during A/D and D/A conversion for reduced noise and
- Asynchronous transfer system unaffected by computer jitter
- S/PDIF IN/OUT: 2IN / 2OUT, up to 24‐bit/192kHz audio resolution
- ADAT Optical IN/OUT: 2 IN / 2 OUT at 192/176.4kHz (S/MUX4
compatible), 4 IN/4 OUT at 96/88.2kHz
- (S/MUX compatible), 8 IN / 8 OUT at 48/44.1kHz
- Word Clock in/out
- Clock source indicator
- MIDI in/out
- Rack-mountable (1U space)
- Robust metal housing
- Works with all Thunderbolt‐equipped Macintosh computers running
OS X 10.8.5 or later