The Mellotron Returns via Electro-Harmonix!
If you love those retro, warm, organic sounds of the Mellotron, the new Electro-Harmonix MEL9 Tape Replay Machine is the fx pedal for you!
The Mellotron keyboard is one of the most iconic instruments in rock. In a way, it could be considered a precursor of synthesizers and samplers - using tape loops of real instruments, such as flutes and strings, played via keyboard. It was famously used by The Beatles in the intro for 'Strawberry Fields Forever' - perhaps the first time most people ever heard a Mellotron!
Other early users include The Rolling Stones and the Moody Blues. But bands such as King Crimson, Yes and Genesis turned the Mellotron into one of the quintessential "prog-rock" instruments, thanks to tracks such as 'Watcher of the Skies'.
Oasis used the Mellotron for the cello sounds in 'Wonderwall', and after that other newer bands also followed suit, such as Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers. More recently, Brian Jonestown Massacre's Anton Newcombe has widely used a Mellotron on his album with Tess Parks, 'I Declare Nothing':
If you are familiar with Electro-Harmonix C9 Organ Machine pedal, you'll know it features a pretty great "Mellotron flues" setting. But the new MEL9 Tape Relay Machine is another beast altogether, as it's a dedicated Mellotron-inspired pedal, reproducing all the classic Mellotron sounds such as cello, orquestra, strings and, of course, flutes, besides many other classic sounds:
MEL9 Features include:
- Pays homage to nine of the coolest Mellotron® sounds: Orchestra, Cello, Strings, Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Brass, Low Choir and High Choir
- Works on guitar without modifications, special pickups or MIDI implementation and tracks bends, slides, even whammy dive bombs!
- Also works with bass guitar down do the open A string as well as keyboards
- Includes independent Effect and Dry volume controls so you can create the perfect mix at the Effects output
- Dry Output jack outputs your input signal at unity gain
- Attack control sets the volume swell speed. As it’s turned clockwise the notes fade in more gradually
- Sustain control adjusts the release time after a sound is stopped. As it’s turned clockwise, the fade out time increase
Release date TBC. PRE-ORDER NOW.