An in depth look an Ableton 8
New groove engine
Groove patterns dynamically influence the timing and velocity/volume of audio and MIDI material. This can add life and swing to straight patterns, give a track more drive, or lend a piece an easy, laid-back feeling.
Live 8 enhances Live’s existing groove power with some important new features:
- Apply groove patterns to any audio or MIDI clips in real time. Change the feel of the whole piece or just selected clips.
- Choose from an extensive library of groove patterns, captured from songs played by some of music’s most original, expressive and soulful drummers.
- Extract groove patterns from any audio or MIDI source to build your own groove library from your favorite tracks.
- Quantize audio and MIDI in real time: non-destructive velocity and timing adjustments for rhythmic correction.
- Randomize audio and MIDI timing for a more human feel
New warping engine
Live 8 is the next logical step in warping evolution with a new, more intuitive warping paradigm and some important Warp Mode enhancements.
- New, intuitive warping allows you to adjust events on the timeline instead of stretching and squeezing the timeline around the events.
- Transient handles: Live analyzes and assigns handles to the transients in audio files automatically.
- Slice by transient: slice audio to MIDI based on Live 8’s new transient analysis.
- Enhanced Beats Warp Mode for improved warping of percussive material and new control options.
- Improved Complex Warp Mode using élastique Pro for warping complex, polyphonic material with fewer artifacts.
Looper brings the creative power of classic sound-on-sound looping to Live, without the limitations of a hardware device. Inspired by some of our favorite sample/delay devices plus a good deal of Ableton wizardry, Looper provides plenty of scope in a super-simple interface.
- One-touch operation: Looper is set up for remote operation, so you can record, overdub, undo and more using a single footswitch (not included) and without touching the computer.
- Endless overdubs, tape-loop style for infinite improv jams.
- First loop sync: Live reads the tempo from the length of the first loop you record and automatically syncs up. This eliminates timing issues and lets you record without the click.
- Simple loop management: drag and drop a loop from Looper into a clip slot to make a clip; drag a clip back again to reload it into Looper.
- Multiple Looper sync lets you run as many Loopers as you want without any synchronization headaches.
Live 8 includes five powerful new effects, each with a strong personality and serious “classic” potential. These effects add a special Ableton shine to the well-known aspects of these devices, giving you effects that are not only practical and easy to use but also inspiring.
Vocoder: the famous “singing robot” effect. Vocoder is classic vocoding plus advanced, intricate control for flexibility and rich sound design.
Multiband Dynamics: effective processing plus a refreshing approach to visualizing the dynamics involved lets you really see and hear what’s going on.
Overdrive: models the circuits found in legendary stompboxes and forms a perfect complement to Saturator and Dynamic Tube.
Limiter: an effective brick-wall limiter that will keep your peaks in check.
Frequency Shifter: frequency shifting and ring modulation for flange effects, atonal harmonics and the sound of Fifties science fiction.
Version 8 makes Live easier with a number of most-wanted enhancements and some deceptively simple detail work.
Crossfades in Arrangement View: This much requested feature gives you real-time, non-destructive crossfades, neatly integrated into Live’s familiar workflow.
The enhanced MIDI editor now features step recording, an insert marker and editing improvements.
Group tracks let you group selected tracks (e.g. a group for drum tracks or a group for all backing vocals). Each group works like a separate mix buss with its own effects and routing settings. You can also collapse grouped tracks to preserve screen real estate.
Multi-parameter manipulation: want to lower the volume of six different tracks? No need any more to adjust six different faders; just select all six tracks and adjust one volume control.
Magnify the user interface for optimal visibility on dark stages or hi-res screens. Zoom out for the big picture.
Browser waveform display: Audio and MIDI browser preview now with waveform display and scrubbing for more informed browsing and file selection.
Plug-in parameters: Improved configuration and control for plug-ins with numerous parameters.
And many more workflow improvements: Yes, that feature request you sent may well be in there somewhere…
New in Ableton Suite 8
Ableton Suite 8 is a package which gives you a rich world of sound, perfectly complementing the tools and features in Live 8. Suite 8 provides all the instruments a musician could hope for, including a wide range of synths, a powerful sampler, electric and acoustic drums, mallets, numerous sampled instruments: 10 instruments in all. Here’s what’s new in Suite 8.
Ableton Suite 8’s library completely surpasses everything that Ableton has ever offered before. With the creative professional in mind, Ableton has put together a well-balanced and comprehensive tool set and, above all, a wide-ranging set of beautiful sounds.
Collision is a unique instrument for authentic mallet sounds and creative percussion. Co-developed with AAS, it uses physical modeling technology to reproduce real-world instruments such as xylophones, marimbas and glockenspiels, but also provides enough depth to create truly dramatic new instruments and sounds.
Latin Percussion is a collection of acoustic percussion instruments such as congas, bongos, timbales, claves, shakers, tambourines and bells from the worlds of Brazilian, Afro-Cuban and African music. It also comes with clips and grooves, so you don’t only get the drums, you also get the drummer.
Operator, Ableton’s renowned do-it-all synthesizer, has been given a major overhaul. We opened up the hood, took a long hard look inside and did some serious hot-rod stuff. New filter types, more modulation routing options and additive wavetable synthesis with drawable partials make Operator more powerful and flexible than ever.