Whether you’re 5 or 95, you can benefit mentally, physically and socially from playing a musical instrument
Everyone knows that playing musical instrument is fun and entertaining. But did you also know that playing music is scientifically proven to benefit peope of all ages.
Children and Teens — Playing music positively affects the development of children’s cognitive skills. It builds confidence, self-discipline and inspires creativity. Also playing music can increase productivity and help kids and teens connect socially with their peers.
Adults and Seniors — Playing excercies the brain and helps fight memory loss. It helps reduce stress and lower blood pressure. And it can stave off depression and loneliness.
Science says there are good medical reasons to play…
- Playing a musical instrument can reverse stress at the molecular level, according to studies conducted by Loma Linda University School of Medicine and Applied Biosystems (as published in Medical Science Monitor)
- Making music can help reduce job burnout and improve your mood, according to a study exposing 112 long-term care workers to six recreational music-making sessions of group drumming and keyboard accompaniment. (as published in Advances in Mind-Body Medicine)
- Playing music increases human growth hormone (HgH production among active older Americans. A study following 130 people over two 10-week periods measured participants’ levels of HgH. The findings revealed that the test group who took group keyboard lessons showed significantly higher levels of HgH than the control group people who did not make music. (University of Miami)
You’ve decided to invest in music lessons for your child - not because you believe they’ll ever grace the professional stage, but because of the many other ways music can enrich a person’s life.
Or maybe as an adult you finally have the desire to commit to an instrument in a way you never did as a somewhat scattered 12-year-old.
Learning an instrument takes a fairly substantial commitment of time and money to realize those sought-after benefits - poise, discipline and better concentration, to name a few. So here are several important tips that can help the budding musicians in your house get more out of their musical education.
Gallup was commissioned by the National Association of Music Merchants (Namm) in the US to carry out a survey, which revealed 97 per cent of people either strongly or completely agree that music can help to develop creativity.
In addition, 96 per cent feel playing in a school band can assist children to develop team working skills, while 93 per cent believe music can help them to make friends.
A further 88 per cent said music can boost school performance and 94 per cent think it can help kids to relax.
Why not take advantage of our FREE Dolphin Music Lesson Blogs.
These are user generated videos picked by us here at Dolphin Music to save you time trawling the Internet for hours….
Have a go today!
- Guitar lessons
- Ukulele lessons
- Bass lessons
- Drum lessons
- Sax lessons
- Singing lessons
- Clarinet lessons
- Keyboard lessons
- Piano lessons
- Music theory
- Ableton lessons
Take it away is an Arts Council initiative designed to help more people get involved in learning and playing music. This scheme is now available to online customers as well!
Take it away is open to everyone (over the age of 18), but primarily designed to help those who might otherwise be unable to afford an instrument appropriate for their needs.
TIA priorities are:
- to encourage children and young people to develop their interests and skills in music making
- to inspire new players of all ages to begin learning an instrument
- to enable those on lower incomes to acquire an instrument appropriate to their needs (or the needs of their children)
- Take it away is only available through registered outlets, such as Dolphin Music!
Typical 0% APR
Offer subject to age and status. Terms and conditions apply. Take it away is operated by ArtCo Trading Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Arts Council England and a limited liability company registered in England & Wales under No. 2758433. Registered address: Arts Council England, North East, Central Square, Forth Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3PJ
What Can You Buy?
You can use Take it away to finance the purchase of any kind of musical instrument, whether new or reconditioned, from a tabla to a tenor horn, a bass guitar to a berimbau. You can also include music stands, stools, sheet music, amplifiers, equipment and sometimes tuition as part of your loan.
Check our main categories to find your dream instrument!
Recorded music, PA systems and computer hardware are not eligible to purchase under the scheme. Take it away loans are designed to assist individuals with the purchase of new or reconditioned musical instruments.
However the following associated goods and services may be included as part of the loan, provided that these items are purchased at the same time as the instrument itself and can be supplied by the retailer at the point of sale.
- Drum heads
- Drum sticks/ brushes
- Effects pedals
- Instrument amplifiers
- Instrument cases
- Instrument cleaning materials
- Music/instrument stands
- Sheet music
- Shoulder rests
- Tuition Books & DVDs
The following items cannot be bought using the loan:
- Non tuition CDs and DVDs
- Non tuition music books
- Concert tickets
- Recording equipment
- PA systems
How do I "Take It Away"?
Once you've found the instrument you want to buy, you can apply for a Take it away loan to finance your purchase. Please note: Online customers can only apply for Take It Away over the telephone. Call our sales team on 0844 815 0888 and apply now!
You will need to have a credit or debit card with you in order to pay the 10% deposit. The application process takes no more than a few minutes and, if approved, you can make your purchase there and then! Of course, being employed helps, but people such as students and pensioners may also be eligible...
To apply for a loan you need to be:
- 18 years old or over*
- A permanent UK resident
- Hold a bank or building society account capable of handling direct debit payments
* if you are under 18, your parent or guardian can apply for a Take it away loan on your behalf. Loans are subject to status. Terms and conditions apply.
How Much Can I Borrow?
Loans are available up to £2,000, or as little as £200. The loan amount can be a part-payment towards an item that costs more than £2,000, or you can buy several lower value items with a combined value of up to £2,000 or more.
You will need to pay a minimum 10% of the loan amount to start with. The rest is then paid back over nine months in equal instalments. There is no administrative charge or handling fee when you take out the loan, so you will never be paying more for your purchase than the ticket price.
The shure SM58 vocal microphone is made with a rugged enamel-coated construction, a steel mesh grille and shock-mount system to ensure it withstands wear and tear. The microphone includes a built in filter which minimizes interruption from environment noises even in extreme conditions. Its advanced shock mount system also reduces transmission of any vibration or unwanted mechanical noise. Shure SM58…