Obama x McCain: Elect Your Favourite! The Music Poll.
Unfortunately only American Citzens can choose the next US President (a.k.a. The Leader Of The Free World) but you can elect who you think has the best music taste! Check Obama's and McCain's Top 10 Favorite Songs and cast your vote!
It's no wonder the Forthcoming American Election on Tuesday 4th November fascinates us all...while the Americans choose between "Change" and "The End Of The World", all we can do is sit and watch the results. It's quite frustrating! So...we can at least give you something to vote for! Choose who you think has the best music taste!
Blender.com had the clever idea of asking Obama to list the top 10 tracks stored on his iPod and McCain to identify the 10 tunes he's most likely to hum along to when he hears them on the wireless (McCain doesn't own an iPod or knows how to use a computer, after all). One wonders how close the candidates themselves get to exercises like this but there's plenty to analyse about the choices, which are as follows (including YouTube links to the actual songs):
1. Ready or Not Fugees (1996)
2. What's Going On Marvin Gaye (1971)
3. I'm On Fire Bruce Springsteen (1985)
4. Gimme Shelter Rolling Stones (1969)
5. Sinnerman Nina Simone (1965)
6. Touch the Sky Kanye West (2006)
7. You'd Be So Easy to Love Frank Sinatra (rec. 1961)
8. Think Aretha Franklin (1968)
9. City of Blinding Lights U2 (2004)
10. Yes We Can will.i.am (2008)
1. Dancing Queen Abba (1976)
2. Blue Bayou Roy Orbison (1963)
3. Take a Chance On Me Abba (1977)
4. If We Make It Through December Merle Haggard (1973)
5. As Time Goes By Dooley Wilson (rec. 1942)
6. Good Vibrations The Beach Boys (1966)
7. What A Wonderful World Louis Armstrong (1967)
8. I've Got You Under My Skin Frank Sinatra (rec. 1956)
9. Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond (1969)
10. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes The Platters (1958)
What can we make of all this? Obama is cool - he likes The Rolling Stones and the social commentary of Marvin Gaye. And he likes modern music. He's basically not out of touch - he's normal, and you might not always like all of his choices.
McCain is older than FM radio, and he didn't choose anything produced after 1977. If you ever seen any Vietnam movie, you'd think a Vietnam Vet like McCain would be totally into Jimi Hendrix, The Doors and Jefferson Airplane. But no - that's hippie's music, and he's a Republican. The nearest he gets to sixties freakout is by choosing a Beach Boys song. Not surprising, considering he likes them so much he turned their hit "Barbara Ann" into a "bomb, bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" singalong once - watch video here. Other than that, McCain's choices are mostly popular loveable tunes...
So, who's your President Of Good Tunes? Vote For Obama or McCain, now! (ps: like in real US Elections, you can also opt to vote for Ralph Nadar and this way waste precious votes that could make or break Obama. And like in real elections, if you're a republican, you can rig the poll and vote more than once.)